October 13-14, 2018
“Children Deserve a Safe and Stable Home Full of Love”
The 12th Annual Cardboard Box City is happening
Saturday, October 13th, 2018 from 4:30 p.m. to 7 a.m. on the 14th.
Cardboard Box City gives community members a chance to experience a night in the life of a homeless family– outside, using cardboard and sturdy materials to shelter them from the elements.
For one night, kids, families, community groups, and more sleep outside and brave the elements in a creatively designed, built, and decorated cardboard structure of their choosing. It’s fun, it’s educational, and best of all, it’s an experience that will leave a lasting impression.
Games & Entertainment
We also want Cardboard Box City to be fun and exciting for people of all ages. We’ll have face painting, “crazy hair”, dancing, and plenty of backyard games. We’ll also have a DJ spinning records and playing tons of great music.
We ask all Cardboard Box City participants to raise $100 in pledges to support the families in our program. Most people will set a goal of 10 donations of $10 each. You can find pledge forms available below, or stop by our office at 429 E. Story St. to grab a few envelopes.
Pledges can be brought to the event, or dropped off at our office by Friday, October 12th.
We will have tons of cool prizes for all ages. Here are this year’s prize categories:
- Best Slogan/House Motto – this year, the winning slogan will be used as the official slogan for the 2019 Cardboard Box City!
- Most Functional Shelter
- Most Pledges Raised – Individual
- Most Pledges Raised – Group
- Most Pledges Raised – Family
- Most Artistic
- Best in Show (crowd favorite: everyone will have a chance to vote on their favorite box design)
We have some excellent prizes this year including ski passes, Spire climbing passes, 320 Guest Ranch Stay, and more… so go all out!
Finally, the main event! The many cardboard box designs are our favorite part of the event, and we’re so excited to see what everyone creates.
We encourage the use of multiple media types (paint, marker, newspaper, crayons, etc.). Keep in mind: your box only needs to serve one function: to act as your shelter for the night.
Boxes will need to be decorated prior to the event. At Cardboard Box City, your group will have from 4:30-6 p.m. to set up your box, and then it’s Parade time! This is your time to show off your box’s features and name your “house” slogan. After the Parade of Boxes, everyone will get a chance to vote for their favorite box. Best designs win prizes!
Want to get involved with the event? Here are a few ways that you can volunteer at Cardboard Box City:
- Photography: Like snapping photos, and want to help capture special moments at the event? If so, we need you! Hours are 4:30-7:30 p.m.
- Video: If shooting video is your thing, and you want to help Family Promise by capturing some action and B-Roll footage, please let us know! Hours are 4:30-7:30
- General assistance: if you are available on an as-needed basis during the event, please let us know!
Contact Jill at 406-582-7388 or email@example.com.
We can’t wait to see you October 13th at Cardboard Box City!
In case you missed it…
Last year, we held a “house slogan” competition for participants and their cardboard structures! The winning slogan, “Children Deserve a Safe and Stable Home Full of Love,” is now the official 2017 Cardboard Box City event slogan. Congratulations to the Young family!
Thanks to Our Generous Sponsors