This Sunday afternoon, May 15th from 4:30pm-6:30pm at the Bozeman Public Library we will be hosting a free Volunteer Leadership Training in the large community room. Family Promise is a great opportunity to teach your family and friends the importance of volunteering together. Our program is family-friendly and promotes great “teachable moments” for parents to discuss the sensitive topic of homelessness with their children. At our trainings you will learn many ways to get involved and serve our homeless families with children in a safe and fun environment. Whatever your passion is…we can use them: cooking, playing outdoors, teaching crafts, mentoring kids!
For families it’s easy to feel disconnected, as many parents juggle work, school, kids, and activity after activity. But some simple things can bring a family closer — playing a game, going for a hike, or cooking a meal together.
One of the most satisfying, fun, and productive ways to unite is volunteering for the community with organizations like Family Promise. Volunteerism also sets a good example for your kids and helps the community. Find more info at kidshealth.org!
Reasons to Get Involved
Why should your family lend a helping hand?
- It feels good. The satisfaction and pride that come from helping others are important reasons to volunteer. When you commit your time and effort to an organization or a cause you feel strongly about, the feeling of fulfillment can be endless.
- It strengthens your community. Organizations and agencies that use volunteers are providing important services at low or no cost to those who need them. When a community is doing well as a whole, its individuals are better off, too.
- It can strengthen your family. Volunteerism is a great way for families to have fun and feel closer. But many people say they don’t have the time to volunteer after fulfilling work and family commitments. If that’s the case, try rethinking some of your free time as a family. You could select just one or two evenings a month (or a year!) to make a dinner as a family and serve as dinner hosts with our guests in the evenings at our congregations.
Creative Ways to Get Involved
- Children have donated their birthday presents to our families
- Families have baked cakes for our guest’s graduation and birthday parties.
- Families have volunteered together at our Day Center playing games with the children or created with arts and crafts
- Families have stayed overnight with our guests in their own room at the congregations as volunteers
The opportunities are endless! Please give us a call at 582-7388 for more information about how to get your family started volunteering today!